Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Lie Behind "That's Just Who I Am."

Never be afraid to be yourself. Even when it means standing out in a crowd.


I wanted to share a quick thought with you this week. I had considered writing this just for my newsletter subscribers, but I think the message is so important that I needed to share it with all of you. (and if you haven't signed up to the newsletter, you can do so here or at the top of the page.)

The message of Un-Copied Life is to be yourself, your true self, not a copy. And certainly not who someone else thinks you should be.

I want you to be comfortable in your own skin, to accept your own opinions, and to believe in your capabilities.

This, however, is not an excuse to become stagnant and anchored in your mindset.

I want to make sure you understand the difference, because it's important!

Being yourself doesn't mean refusing to change.


It means refusing to become someone else. It means refusing to become someone you aren't.

But change? We're always changing. We aren't who we were yesterday. How can we possibly say we can't change, or that we shouldn't?

We all have people in our life who want us to think something different, or say something else. Everyone around us is an "expert" on something and they all have advice for us. There is always something they think we should do.

Sometimes they really are trying to show us something about ourselves that needs attention, and sometimes they're after their own agendas. The sad part is that most of us don't have the time to analyze every bit of advice and see what's what. So what do we do?

When do I act?


Here is a quick, 2 question guide to help you decide when to act on, and when to dismiss, advice given to you.

  1. How did you react? Strong reactions, either positive or negative, are indicators that we need to give something our attention. Anger, for example, is a sign of underlying emotions that you've likely been neglecting. Figure out what is making you react and why. Strong reactions are where you need to put your focus.

  2. What are your motives? Forget everyone else. Their motive is irrelevant. Even if they are angling for themselves, you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot by being stubborn. Don't refuse (or consent) just because someone asked you to. Question your initial decision and make sure that what you choose is for you— not because of the other person.


You can change. Everyone can.


Saying you can't change is a lie. The truth is that you don't want to. You don't want to admit to yourself that something isn't right. You don't want to make the effort.

And I'm not saying you should or that you need to. I simply want you to truly look at yourself. Be honest.

Know what you believe. And more importantly know why.

Change the parts that aren't you.

Then you can honestly say, "This is who I am."

What is your experience with unsolicited advice? Share in the comments below.

If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it to your favorite social network by clicking the “share” button below.

Photo courtesy of Neelaka

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for this - it's a great reminder that we are not stuck to being one sort of person all of our lives. As we age, as we learn, we can (and should) change - but only if the change is right for us.

    I like the quick 2 question guide - it is so important for us to analyse our feelings and tease apart what we want from what everyone else wants for us (or thinks we should want!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your comment about having a flexible mindset is really important. Carol Dweck, the author of the book "Mindset", shows that people who have a "growth" mindset do much better in life than those with a "fixed" mindset. People who are open to growth are much more creative and look at failure as learning opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I love change, but only if it's right for us. Change just to change doesn't work out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're absolutely right about failure as a learning opportunity. One thing about me, is that I've never been afraid of loving someone. Sure, I'm scared of getting hurt, but I'm more scared of not listening to my feelings, of missing out on wonderful experiences. And even when I've "failed" I've learned what not to do. So, it's still a win-win in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kim,
    The part of this post that resonated most was, "Know what you believe. And more importantly know why." I'm a huge "why" guy and bang that drum all day long. If you don't understand your own motivations, why something is in your best interest, or why a mindset is holding you back, then it's kind of game over.
    And there are so many directions someone could take this. My favorite one lately is minimalism and is embodied by a quote from Joshua Becker of Becoming Minimalist. He said, "Why would I want all the stuff that everyone else has when they all want what I already possess?"
    So very true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the quick two question guide.
    Becoming aware of strong reactions and personal motives gives us great insight into 'Who I think I am'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Kim,

    Beautiful post. I love your point about how being yourself doesn’t mean refusing to change. If we refuse to change we're actually freezing ourselves into a version of us that is no longer true. Being yourself requires that we keep changing and being shaped by our own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. “Why would I want all the stuff that everyone else has when they all want what I already possess?”

    I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If we can get into the habit of asking ourselves these questions often, we can really get to know ourselves on a much deeper level.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate the distinction between being yourself/refusing to change/being someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Change the parts that aren't you." That's my favorite sentence here, and I guess perhaps the point of your entire blog. Whether you receive advice from someone else or you just hear a voice in your head, if you're acting out a scenario that is not authentically you - that's when it's time to consider a change!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exactly. It’s so easy to get locked into a mindset if we aren’t paying attention. Anytime I begin to feel “blah” (haha technical term!) I look around and see what I’ve been neglecting to pay attention to. It’s so much easier to fix something when you know what needs fixing!

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's very important!


    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes exactly!

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life should always be about change. Sometimes slow and gradual but if you are changing, you aren't growing. BTW I hate unsolicited advice. People might share a nugget of their truth or something that worked for them...but if i didn't ask...don't give me your opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel the same way. What irritates me, is when you ask some one for their opinion or advice and then get mad when you don't take it. I mean, I love feedback and all, but when I ask for advice, I'm looking for options, ideas I haven't considered - but that doesn't mean that person has the best answer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the "un-copied life" concept. What an unusual way to move beyond the usual authenticity.

    ReplyDelete