Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How to Turn Judgement Into Acceptance

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.

The world is full of judging.

We judge our situations so that we can decide if they're safe. We judge acts to determine if they are crimes. We judge relationships to see if they are healthy for us.

Every single decision we make is based on a judgement of some sort.

We buy a specific car because we judge it to to fit with our required safety/economical/vanity/etc categories. We choose to read a book because we judge it to be a likely candidate to entertain us.

But we also judge others to be wrong, and ourselves to be right, even when a clear right/wrong line isn't established. We judge others based on their behavior, their choices, their actions. And we also judge them based on their income, their sex, their nationality, their religion. We, as a society, as a whole, do this.

Judging is everywhere, and dare I say, necessary. But before you judge me for that statement, let me elaborate.

Though that idea may seem to clash with the ideas behind Un-Copied Life, like individuality and acceptance, I maintain that the two sides aren't mutually exclusive.

While judgement does seem to be the nemesis of acceptance, and it certainly can be, I do feel that we can find a healthy balance between the two.

And I'll show you how, but first I want to look at some of the reasons we judge.

1. We judge for safety/mechanical/logical reasons. 

These reasons are the absolutely necessary ones. An example from above would be buying a car. We judge it to fit our requirements of what we need and want in a car. Or judging a situation to be physically safe. Or judging a cliff too dangerous to stand on. Judging crimes would also fall into this category. Despite the many failures of our judicial system, they are indeed necessary. Though these types are important, they will not be the main focus of this post. 

 

2. We want to establish a difference between ourselves and the other party.

When we see something we disagree with, the desire to separate ourselves from it is in our nature. And believe it or not, it actually goes back to "fitting in". We draw back from this thing we disagree with, sidling up with our beliefs and those who agree with us. Strength in numbers, after all. And we even try to use those numbers as "proof" that we're right.

Separation, in and of itself, isn't all that bad. The problem arises when we get into "Right/Wrong" mode. We start throwing insults, either directly or through veiled insinuations, and what happens is everyone winds up stressed and feeling alienated.

3. We see negative qualities of ourselves in someone else, but don't want to admit it.

Have you ever gone on a diet? You're sitting there at work, it's lunchtime and you're munching away on your third tasteless salad of the  week. You look over and see the "chubby girl" chowing down a slice of pizza. You immediately jump to thoughts of how horrible she is and how great you are because, "Hey, I'm the one eating the salad!" Except, you'd almost be willing to give your right kidney for a slice of that pizza right now.

The truth is that you're resentful of your diet, but rather than admit it, you project your negative feelings onto someone else, to make you feel better.

So, what do we do about it?

How do we reconcile our nature to judge with our need to be a better, more caring person?

Here's how:

1. Consider what you may not know.


In the lunch break/pizza scenario above, what you didn't know is that the "chubby girl" is busting her butt to lose weight. She has woken up an hour early every day to exercise for the last 3 months and has managed to lose 25 lbs. And that's the first slice of pizza she's eaten in six months.

Consider the quote:
"We judge others by their behavior. We judge ourselves by our intentions"
— Ian Percy

We can't know everything about someone. We don't know what goes on in their heads and we don't know why the make the decisions they do.

We don't know the history that brought them to the moment to make a choice in their life. So, how can we justify judging them based solely on what we see or hear?

Consider how it makes you feel when someone incorrectly judges you? Don't you want the chance to defend yourself?

Wouldn't it be easier to skip the judgement altogether?

2. Practice acceptance.


Practice building your acceptance muscle. Acceptance is the way to merge two opposing ideas. Accept that the other person is different. They have their own history, their own goals, and their own desires.

There is no right and wrong. There is no better or worse. There is only what is. And it isn't up to you to change that person to your way of thinking.

“It's not given to people to judge what's right or wrong. People have eternally been mistaken and will be mistaken, and in nothing more than in what they consider right and wrong.”
― Leo Tolstoy

And as I've said before, acceptance doesn't mean you agree with the other person, it simply means that you recognize that what is best for one, isn't automatically what is best for all.

3. Be willing to learn


Be open to learning about yourself and about others. If something bothers you, find out why. Read, ask questions (politely!), do what you have to in order to learn. Often, you'll find that your differences aren't as clear-cut as you think they are.

Be open to seeing the other side of the argument. Of course, this is sometimes much harder in practice than in theory. Know that. Don't shy away from what you don't know because it will be difficult.
“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Image courtesy of David Goehring

 

21 comments:

  1. [...] share The world is full of judging. We judge our situations so that we can decide if they’re safe. We judge acts to determine if they are crimes. We judge … Continue Reading →  [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I like your points although, for myself, I find that some of the biblical sayings have some great truth in this arena:

    "Judge not unless you want to be judged."

    "Why worry about the speck in your brother's eye when you have a board in your own?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments and your quotes! I don't follow the bible, so I wouldn't have known about them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My biggest hurdle I've tried to overcome during 2012 has been my harsh judgment of myself. By being more accepting of myself I'm finding it easy to accept others.
    I like #3 Be willing to learn. When someone has pushed a button in me I ask your earlier #3 We see negative qualities of ourselves in someone else, but don’t want to admit it, what is it about myself I don't want to admit, even to myself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aargh, just left a long comment which disappeared into the ethers...:-(
    Here's a mini-version:

    You're right that not all judging is 'bad'. After all we're encouraged to use our 'good judgement' when evaluating the safety of an endeavor.

    Yet, I've never found that judging others leads to anything true or good. As you point out we can never know what brought a person to this moment and to what they are doing. What we can do is choose whether we wish to spend time with them. And if we're open minded enough we might choose to see what we can learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, as always, you posts gives me so much to think about. Thank you.

    I really like the end of Sarah's comment. "What we get to choose is whether to spend time with them." While the goal is never to banish people from your life, you sometimes have to make very difficult decisions so that you can live a healthy life. It doesn't mean things can't change or won't, but constantly wishing things were different is very stressful, and sometimes we just have to accept thiings as they are. More specifically, if someone is acting in a way that is hurtful, I have found that allowing them to spend time with me affects my health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a well-written post. What has worked for me is accepting judgement. I accept that I will be judged and actually invite it. It is one of the behaviors that makes us most human. Most judgement I receive is the type I grow from anyhow. I work hard enough on myself that judgement no longer hurts. I feel that if I ask others not to judge that I am giving myself excuses. "Don't judge" used to be the war cry of my former mediocre self.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim - awesome post here. I think we can't avoid feeling pangs of judgement, good and bad, with whoever we meet and deal with. The question is, how will we deal with that judgement?

    We all want a fair chance and a clean slate, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we reserve some of our meanest, darkest judgements for ourselves. It's a shame too. Imagine the good that could spread in this world if we all loved ourselves?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! Sorry that happened!

    You're right. I agree that it's very unlikely (or very, very hard) for everyone to eliminate all judging. But I think that in the attempt, in the trying, we are, at the very least, reducing the judgement we sent out into the world.

    When we try to see past what our senses initially tell us, we can open ourselves up to a much more accepting version of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, sometimes saying goodbye (or distancing yourself) is best. Though, I think that should be done only after attempting to understand them. And then if you simply can't understand them (or you do, but you still don't want to be around them), that's when separation can be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks CJ! Sounds like you're making fantastic progress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good point. Sometimes, the judgement slips through anyway. How do you choose to deal with it? Any pointers you'd like to share with other readers?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kim. Great post on judgment. One of my mentors always says "you don't know what you don't know, and you have forgotten some of what you knew and a lot of what you know just isn't so." This is so true as it pertains to issuing judgment on someone. You don't know all of anyone's situation, so why pass judgment. Doesn't that sort of behavior require so much more energy too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mervyn! Thanks for stopping by!

    Oh my, you are so right. All of that judging is such an energy and time suck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kim,

    I liked your third suggestion best--"Be willing to learn"

    It's amazing how things can change when we become more open to learning something new. When I make judgements it usually feels the opposite to that, like closing a door.

    Really enjoyed this post, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Dave! And you're right, it does feel like the opposite of being willing to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great quotes!

    I would add a third,

    "Judge not unless you want to be a boring old hag."

    ReplyDelete
  19. Age and maturity usually helps with judgement and self-rightousness. I worked inside a prison and worked with prisoners, I was a parole and probation agent, I have worked for nonprofits serving at risk families and children and most of all I am a mother. Getting to know the people and not just their mistakes or life circumstances is where acceptance comes in. I love people and my life motto for the past two years is "Live in Peace". When my crazy sister is acting... well crazy, when others act in a way I would not... I don't try to fix them. I say "Live in Peace" to myself. This way I can love them and not drive myself nuts trying to change them or their actions.

    ReplyDelete