Thursday, January 3, 2013

Your Road Map to Success (Plus A Sneak Peek At What's Coming Soon)

Road to Success

It's a new year, and whether you've made a resolution or not, I know you have some things you'd really like to accomplish this year. Maybe this is the year you're hoping to fit into those skinny jeans again or maybe you really want to find a new job. Maybe you'll be planning a wedding like I will be.

Or hey, maybe you just want to remember what your house looks like clean. (Been there!)

Whatever it is that you'll be working toward this year, there are a few common hangups that can turn your road to success into a road to nowhere.

Here's how to ensure you make it to your desired destination:

1. Check your luggage.

We all have attachments — to things we like, to things we don't like and attachments to ideas, thoughts, actions, and beliefs. But rather than carry them around like a badge of honor, check them. Like a coat at a fancy party. Or a piece of luggage too large to carry on. Rather than lugging a suitcase around all night, stow the bugger away and move on.

Take notice of things that give you pause or make you second-guess yourself:

  • Words like can't, won't, too hard, too long, I don't know

  • Wishing things were different

  • Fear of the unknown

  • "shoulds and have to's"

  • Pleasing others

  • Not wanting to do something for yourself


If you need them, you can always get them back, but enjoy some time without the weight of them weighing you down. You'll never guess where you might end up!

2. Know where you're coming from

In order to not get all tripped up this time, you need to know what tripped you up the last time. Banana peels, trip wires, booby traps... only you know what yours are.

Spend time getting to know them.

  • What makes you give in to unhelpful desires?

  • What makes you disregard or ignore goals you've set for yourself?

  • What keeps you from getting back up when you fall down?

  • What are things that come up repeatedly?


Success is knowing what  doesn't work as well as what does.

3. Know where you are at all times.

If you don't know where you're at, how do you know you aren't indeed lost? Or walking in a circle for the fifteenth time?

  • Be aware of your emotions, resistances, and desires

  • When you feel these things, try to figure out why you feel them

  • Stop and correct course if needed

  • Don't be afraid to change things up


Don't go overboard with it, but always have a general idea of where you're at in whatever it is that you're working on.

4. Have fun

What good is a journey if it isn't fun? Find a way to turn it into a game or challenge. Join up with someone who can make you laugh. It doesn't matter, just have fun with it!

If you can find a way to enjoy the not so great tasks in life, imagine what you can do with the already fun parts?

Now for the Sneak Peek!

Last week, I told you there would be several surprises to come in 2013, and I'm busy scribbling away at one of the first that will be released this year.

This first surprise is called 52 Little Ways and will come to you in the form of a book. I don't want to reveal too much just yet, but it's going to be a wonderful little inspirational tool that you can come back to over and over.

I will reveal more information about 52 Little Ways as the month presses on, but if you want to guarantee that you're in the loop, make sure you're subscribed by filling out that little form over there on the right (subscribers also get a free copy of Mindful You: Beginners Guide + Workbook).

Next week, I'll share with my subscribers how they can try to snag a free copy of 52 Little Ways for themselves. Please note, this will not be shared on the blog, so if you're interested, make sure you subscribe!

Until then, I hope you're new year is starting off great!

Image courtesy of Moyan Brenn

9 comments:

  1. Nice post. And a great pointer to baggage. Interesting that looking back and down at what we carry IS what holds our progress back the most. Thank you for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim.

    Good reminders. As someone who works remotely 80% of the time, I particularly relate to #4 - especially as it refers to keeping the company of people who keep you happy. I've been very fortunate to make some fantastic online connections with top-notch people this year. It makes me feel grounded while traveling.

    Congratulations on 52 Little Ways. Knocking something like that out is no small task!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the "check your luggage" that stuff gets heavy after a while, so definitely need get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the link to the visual of checking the luggage, Kim. I definitely need to work on Wishing Things Were Different and Pleasing Others. For me, they go hand in hand. I don't want to let people down, but I have kept some people in my life that are not good for me. Your list was definitely helpful and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the link to check your luggage. I'll remember it each time I stumble whilst creating my habit of writing each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas as always, Kim! Thanks for helping us shake free of things we just don't need as we start our journey into 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the example of words, attitudes, and thoughts, esp negative ones, being luggage. That is so true that these things can weigh you down and cause so much extra time and trouble. I've learned to pack much lighter when I travel - it's time to pack much lighter as I move through my goals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each time I'm able to increase my level of awareness/mindfulness, I surprise myself - discovering an additional dimension to my behavior I was previously unaware of.

    Knowing where you're coming from and where you are - golden.

    Is the book already finished?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not quite finished, yet. But it's coming!

    ReplyDelete