Monday, October 29, 2012

Why Acceptance Isn't Optional

Happy

Acceptance is one of the most important things you can do for your happiness.

But there's a lot of mystery and hype surrounding that word— Happiness. We're told "do this" or "buy that" and we'll be happy. So we do what we're told to do and buy what we're told to buy, all in the hope of gaining a bigger slice of the happiness pie.

But the truth is that we already have everything we need to be happy. Most of us just haven't realized it yet.

You know where this is going now, don't you?

That's right— Acceptance.

Many people believe that acceptance means defeat (it doesn't) or that it makes you a failure (nope) and they never give this fantastic tool a fair shot.

Why is acceptance so important anyway?

To answer that, we first have to look at where the need for it is coming from. If we know that acceptance is the solution, then non-acceptance is the problem.

Think about the most recent negative emotions you have felt. Maybe you felt anger or impatience? Irritation? Heartache? Fear?

Now, look a why you felt those emotions.

Perhaps a friend said something insulting and it made you angry. Or your husband forgot your anniversary and it made you feel hurt and invisible. Maybe you felt irritation and impatience pounding in your ears as you sat in rush hour traffic on your way home from work last night.

Though each one is different, they are all the same.

In each situation, you reacted negatively, because something didn't go the way you wanted it to.

I've said that before, but it's super important, so I'm going to say it again...

You feel negative emotions because something didn't go the way you wanted it to.


This is important.

We like being in control. And we don't like to admit that we can't control the majority of what happens to us. Sure, we have the power to choose, but we never know with certainty what result that choice will bring us. And so we like to pretend that we do have control, that we can choose exactly what happens to us.

The result? Something doesn't go according to plan and we feel anger (or some other negative emotion) at ourselves (for picking a bad plan) or whoever has done us wrong (for interrupting our perfect plan).

We must accept that we can not control everything.


Basic acceptance begins with admitting that we aren't perfect, nor can we ever be. We make mistakes and we learn from them. This is how we grow and learn. Perfection is an unrealistic and impossible goal.

I repeat: Perfection is an impossible goal. Tweet this.

Accept your emotions


Since we know we can't be perfect, it makes sense that learning something new, such as acceptance, will take time and that we'll make mistakes along the way, especially in the beginning. We'll still get angry, we'll still feel impatience. But rather than berating yourself, just accept it.

Say to yourself, "I'm angry/impatient/annoyed, and that's okay. I am okay." Instead of giving in to your emotions, learn from them. With practice, those negative emotional spikes won't be quite so pointy.

Accept the situation


A common misconception is that acceptance means giving up, not striving for progress or for something more. You can still set goals - say to lose your temper less or to lose 20 pounds, all while still practicing acceptance.

Let's take weight loss as an example.

You step on the scale, note your weight and decide that you really do need to lose those last 20 pounds. At this point you can be critical with yourself, groaning about not exercising enough and eating too many bad foods... OR

You can accept that what's done is done. Yes, you ate the foods. Yes, you didn't exercise as much as you should have. But talking negatively to yourself isn't going to magically transport you back in time and give you the chance to redo it all. And it certainly isn't going to make you feel confident that you'll be able to do it in the future.

In fact, all that negativity is going to make you more likely to fail in the future.

Instead, just remind yourself that this is how things are right now— this minute, today. It's not how it has to be tomorrow or next month. Build up practicing acceptance and bit by bit you'll allow yourself to be a happier person.

How are you going to practice acceptance today? Share below in the comments.

Image courtesy of Alex France

19 comments:

  1. I like your emphasis on the fact that we are upset because something didn't go our way. I was sitting in jury duty today hoping I didn't get picked. After a few minutes of listening to the attorneys and waiting for them to ask us questions, I realized, Wait. This person's life is on the line. I have to pay attention. Perhaps they'll choose me. Perhaps they won't. Either way, I can take something away from this today. I can listen to what others are saying - really listen. At 1pm, five and a half hours after walking into the courthouse, I walked out happy. Yes, partially because things went my way but more because I was able to hear people's stories. I learned a lot today - by listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not accepting "what is" is an easy trap to fall into. We can waste an awful lot of our lives -- time, money, effort, emotion -- struggling against things we can't change, including things in the past. Learning and practicing acceptance really does pave the way toward happiness. This brings to mind the short "Serenity Prayer" in which acceptance is a key element. That prayer -- especially in the well-known short form (which you can see on the Wikipedia page for it) -- is a compact bit of wisdom that can be applied by all regardless of religious belief (or lack thereof).

    I think Tammy touches on another aspect of happiness, and that is getting out of our own heads and really paying attention to others. Really listening not only helps us empathize with others, it also helps us see that we are not alone and that our experiences are not as unique as we sometimes feel, which can help us accept negative experiences. Unfortunately, many messages in popular media push people in the other direction. Selfishness and rudeness are glamorized in popular media today, but these traits do not lead to happiness. Instead they lead to not getting along with others, which causes unhappiness directly and tears at the fabric of society (which is based on getting along with others) and that, too, leads to unhappiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your take on this, Kim. In my work on resilience - the ability to bounce back in life - acceptance is the first and most important step. You just have to see what's in front of you, be realistic about it, realize that change is always going to happen in your life, and keep moving. Hopefully, during the acceptance and moving, we glean some lessons from the process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such an awesome take-away from that experience! Congrats on seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I love that Serenity Prayer - wise words!

    You're right about selfishness and rudeness being ever more abundant these days. Sometimes, it amazes me when I talk to a rude operator on the phone or snotty cashier. At first, I was annoyed that they would act that way, but with it happening so often, I wonder if employers even care anymore. I know, when I was in those positions, that behavior wasn't allowed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Lessons in the journey - the hardest, but the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post.
    My personal experience taught me that one will never be in peace before one accepts...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very true. Acceptance before peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The real gift of acceptance is once you do - you accept others...who they are...where they are in life...their faith, their politics, their philosophy. That doesn't mean you ignore injustice,abuse or other deeds against mankind - but for the most part my philosophy is "go and live in peace". This takes the burden off me of trying to "fix" them or their problems (mostly family). Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane, you have hit on something so, so important! And it's something I intend to write about here in the future. - "fixing" people. We like to help people (most of us), and a lot of the time it bothers us when we see something "wrong" and we want to fix it. Sometimes we just think we're helping, and it's all good intentions, but so often we're wanting to change them to our way of thinking.

    And you're right, acceptance, really does help lift this "burden".

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so right ... letting go of control allows us to just be present and increase enjoyment of our lives. Even though I know the cost of trying to control things, I frequently catch myself trying to control a situation or spending my energy wishing something or someone was different. It takes daily cycles of checking in and shifting my perspective to get back to that peaceful feeling of acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves over and over before things become habit. Just keep reminding yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect post for me to read right now! I've been doing a lot of work around this very subject as I am quite prone to 'perfection paralysis' And to judging myself much more harshly than I'd judge others.
    I'm learning that acceptance doesn't mean giving up at all! It's about being with what is, and not trying to force an outcome. And amazingly I'm finding that when I can just hang with negative emotions, and accept myself how I am - that's when the shifts I want start to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your point that acceptance isn't a synonym for failure and defeat. So often, it seems we're taught that "accepting" something means letting down any hope of there being an alternative, or surrendering hopelessly to a less-than-ideal circumstance - rather than dealing with reality constructively and learning from it. Thank you for addressing the truth that we don't always have to fight things (negative emotions, etc) to have growth in our lives. We can accept them, and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're welcome Megan and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that you chose to mention or highlight this aspect of Kim's post, Megan. I have been known to paralyze myself when simply moving on would have been best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great article! Like Bobbi said, I feel acceptance is the first step, even to great change, which we'd think of as the opposite of acceptance.

    I will practice acceptance today... by converting my frustration at my grandfather at his attempts to get me into an arranged marriage into an opportunity for humor. Somehow...!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amit, that definitely sounds like a frustrating situation! With acceptance you can say "He wants me in an arranged marriage, but that doesn't mean I have to do it. He has his opinions, and I have mine."

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete