Monday, November 19, 2012

On Labels and Going Beyond Stereotypes

This weeks post is going to be a bit different than usual. Instead of teaching, today I just want to talk to you.

I've been thinking a lot about labels this week — how we choose to let them define us and how no matter what, they will always exist.

I am UnLabeled

We give ourselves these labels in order to place ourselves somewhere - anywhere. But are they even accurate?

Have you ever felt like you don't really belong with a label you've been given? Maybe you're a dude who likes other dudes. Maybe you're in a Christian family, but you've never agreed with the Christian teachings.

Maybe you want to skip the whole mothering thing, while everyone around you is pressuring you to have a child. Or maybe life made you a follower and all you want to do is lead for a change.

Or maybe you're a White Lesbian Athiest who just had a baby with your Black Christian Wife.

The truth is that no single label can ever begin to describe or define us. We are a mix of many, many labels and we must give up that "all or none" kind of thinking.

The other day, I said something to a friend that was perhaps a bit overly critical. She responded with "Aren't you supposed to be a Buddhist?" Which was her way of saying I should be nicer to her.

Regardless of my comment, her question is what got me thinking about labels. In truth, I'm not technically a Buddhist. I do feel that most of my beliefs align well with the Buddhist philosophy, and I have considered becoming a full-fledged Buddhist, but it's still a very new thing for me. Most of us grow up with religion being handed to us - we believe what our parents believe. It would take me years to learn and study a new language, not days or weeks.

So what's my point here? This friend knew about my research into Buddhism and automatically assumed that would suddenly be "Buddhist", as if by assuming that label, all Buddhist traits would immediately be mine.

It doesn't work that way.

How about a new mother who is so tired that she would rather sleep than hold her newborn? I hear this story so often, but yet these exhausted new moms are still feeling the pressure to be SuperMom and they are plagued with guilt when their emotions don't match up.

Or the son who is expected to join the family business like his father and his father's father, except he'd rather go out on his own and explore the world.

The problem with labels isn't fitting into them— it's the backlash from not fitting into them. 



Once you take on a label, those around you know where to put you in their convenient mental filing system. They expect certain behaviors from you, and you deviate from the label, their whole system crashes.

And you know what?

That's okay.

Because it isn't your problem, it isn't your concern, and it isn't your job to help them pick up the shattered pieces of their stereotypes— It's theirs.

They are the ones who created the problem in the first place. They are the ones responsible for their confusion. Not you.

 The opposite of a label is still a label.


I see so many who try desperately to avoid being labeled or stereotyped. But this just isn't possible. The opposite of one label, while different, is still a label - even if you don't have a direct replacement for it.

For example, most of the people around me are huge fans of the Florida Gators football team. Their slogan happens to be "If you're not a Gator, you're Gator bait." They assume that you're either with them or against them. But then here comes me, who isn't a fan of the Gators. Which would, by their definition, make me one big juicy piece of bait.

Only, I'm not against them. I'm not for them, but I'm not against them. I just happen to have zero interest in football. I couldn't care less who wins or loses.

But even though I don't take sides, I still have a label that's been given to me.

Make like the wind.


I believe that one label, or ten, can never begin to truly define us. Yes, we may have labels, but they are simply to guide us, never define us. Otherwise, there'd be a lot of other people in this world just like us.

In order to be individuals, we must let go of the rigid walls of stereotype, and find our own way. Learning to flow where life takes us can be an immeasurable part of finding happiness. Instead of clinging desperately to your labels, try letting go and see where the wind takes you.

Instead of saying "I am __________."  try simply saying "I am."

 

19 comments:

  1. "Because it isn’t your problem, it isn’t your concern, and it isn’t your job to help them pick up the shattered pieces of their stereotypes— It’s theirs." Great zinger there, Kim! Stereotypes are here to stay and with good reason. Words are the best tool we have for identifying objects right now and they are imperfect, but still the best we can do. Adults really ought to be able to automatically consider the exceptions to any stereotype. And it is their responsibility to do so. If they cannot do it, they ought to be prepared to have the exceptions explained to them. Hopefully, they won't feel TOO embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adults really should be able to do that! I think the problem is that we aren't taught the enough ways to "be an adult". For the most part, our parents seem to focus on teaching us the surface level adult behavior - holding down a job, correct behavior, managing finances (sometimes!)- but I think a lot of people are too scared of (or ignorant of) the importance of being an emotional adult.

    There are a lot of things I have figured out on my own in the last few years about myself and ways of thinking and interacting with other people.... and I wonder where the actual balance is between what we learn and what we're biologically capable of at a certain age. I think I'll have to do some research on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bold! Real! True!

    Thanks for taking a stand Kim. I feel the same way. Having been raised "Christian" I found that the more I got older the more I realized I needed to shed that label. Not I tell people I am spiritual, not religious.

    Thanks for saying what the rest of us are thinking Gator bait! =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, thanks! You just reminded me of high school conversation I had with a girl in one of my classes. She was talking about church (Southern Baptist), and I happened to mention that I didn't go to church (I'd go occasionally with a friend who invited me, but that was it). Her response: "Are you Athiest?" I was like, wow, what a jump you made there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Kim. I love this post. CJ and I were talking on our morning walk about something right along these lines. Instead of teaching children WHAT to think, it would be great if we just taught them TO think! If you expect children to blindly follow your teachings without questioning WHY, how can you expect them not to be a follower for the rest of their lives?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeh, I like that term "emotional adult". This must be a rare condition indeed.
    And I am unsure how one would teach it unless they have achieved it. It is unfortunate that wisdom is not guaranteed with age. Stephen Pinker and Hannah Holmes are two of my favorite authorities on human nature if you want to read about that balance between nature an nurture. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, I'm not even sure what to say because I have nothing to add - you're just spot on with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, the human condition.

    Labels, stereotypes, and even prejudices exist because people who perpetrate them find it easier to deal with things in life if they can package things into little uniform boxes with big, bold labels on them.

    It's not right, but it's common ... and we all do it to a degree from time to time.

    Wise reflections and good work, Kim!

    Sincerely,
    Another non-Gator fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Gary. Yes, we do all do it at sometime or another... I doubt it will ever go anywhere. I think we can find much greater happiness if we can recognize that the walls of each label are permeable, in and out, not strict or rigid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a former Jew who's an atheist now. It's a label I embrace strongly, along with many others. The power and simplicity of applying labels is essential for the human condition, but they can be wielded in harmful ways.
    You made a ton of great points in this post Kim. I'll just add one more of my own in case anyone cares to know my stance. Labels are best applies to what you are. When people apply labels to what they are NOT or for exclusionary purposes, that's when the purpose and power of the label becomes corrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - spot on! When I began painting and needed to sign my art - I signed it "Jane". Because every label I've had in life is daughter, mother, sister, parole officer, wife, etc. and they all had a surname or title to identify. To sign it "Jane" was an attempt to just be me. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that, Jane. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wouldn't it be wonderful to live in a world where we didn't need labels but I do believe it's part of the human condition, we use them to help us make sense of things in our limited imagination. I have always fought against the need for labels and judgements but admittedly there are times where I use them to my benefit and one label I'm proud of is when I hear someone referring to me as a blogger. That's a world I love to be associated with! Great conversation Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, there are times when I'm like "labels shmables" and try to avoid them... but the truth is they are there.. even the unlabeling something is still, essentially, a label. I just try not to force myself into a label (or accept one I don't want) - that's when things start going wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of great wisdom in this post.

    This Thanksgiving, my extended family experienced what is probably one of the largest debates in its history here in America - the adults were lambasting the younger generation, as they started to see that we were starting to move past the labels we had been assigned.

    I am a bit confused though. What are we, if not our labels? Even just saying "I am" implies some sort of emotional or visual label.

    Or are you suggesting something more Buddhist, whereby we halt the process of saying itself. That, rather than trying to say and label and reflect, we just experience?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You make a good point about extremes ... "the opposite of a label is still a label."

    I've found that the more I travel and visit new locations, the more I aware I become of the stereotypes I've held on to and the more I let them go. It's a lot easier to stereotype a group of people or an area of the country from a distance and it's a lot harder to maintain it when you make connections with them. I only travel a few times a year, but I always feel like a changed person when I return.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for commenting Amit. We can never get rid of labels, because even unlabeling yourself is still a type of label. What I'm suggesting is being more "mobile" I guess you could say - to accept the labels you agree with, reject those you don't, and be willing to float from label to label or even be in two labels that appear contradictory at the same time. Never force yourself to stay in a label because it's familiar. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's awesome Patti. I can't wait until I'm able to travel. I agree that it would change those who are receptive to the messages they come across. I think it could definitely be a life/view changing experience.

    ReplyDelete