Monday, November 5, 2012

Are The People In Your Life Ruining Your Self-Esteem?

Self-Esteem

This is a hard question because it's one many people don't want to look at too closely.

We don't want to admit that a person we care about is bad for us. We don't want to admit that we chose to let the wrong person into our lives. We don't want to let go of something that probably was pretty good at one time or another.

Maybe we know someone toxic, spewing their poison everywhere they go. Or maybe they are a bit more subtle, leaving drops of negativity in sneaky places, making your believe they are your own.

Or it could be that they aren't intentionally hurting you. As busy as life is these days, we're often so preoccupied with our own life that  we're unaware of the feelings of those around us. It's normal. But how much is okay? How long should you hold on to someone who is too busy for you? That's an answer I'm still working on.

But I do know this:
Chances are that you have someone in your life right now that you probably should have let go a long time ago. Tweet this.

And as hard as it can be to deal with this person, as much stress as you feel when they are around you or when you think about them, they actually affect you much more than you might realize. This is where I introduce the concept of the generalized other and the term everybody committee.

The Generalized Other and Your Everybody Committee


When I learned about these concepts, I was flabbergasted. The ideas were so simple, but so true, that I couldn't fathom why it had never occurred to me before. And since learning of these concepts, I have drastically changed how I view the people around me.

So what are they?

The generalized other is a concept that was introduced by George Herbert Mead. It is basically our interpretation of how we think other people expect us to think and act in a situation.

A great example of the generalized other is the WWJD bracelet craze that popped up back in the 90's. If you don't know, "WWJD" stands for "What would Jesus do?" The bracelets were created to be a little reminder to think of how Jesus would want you to act in a situation. This is a classic generalized other.

If you ever ask yourself "What am I supposed to wear?" or "How am I supposed to act?" then you are calling on your knowledge of the generalized other.

Now, a generalized other isn't bad, in fact according to Mead, it's necessary, especially as a child, to learn and adapt to correct behavior and expectations.

But many times we take the generalized other too far, letting it control us too much.

So how do we control it and where do the majority of our notions of the generalized other come from?

This is where your everybody committee comes into play.

I had the pleasure of picking up the November 2012 issue of O Magazine a couple weeks ago and this is how I discovered the concept of everybody committees.

Everybody committee is a term coined by life coach, Martha Beck. And though I'm still learning about this term, I wanted to give you an overview of the idea behind it. You can find the original article on the O Magazine website  if you'd like to read it (which I highly recommend that you do!).
"Your generalized other is actually based on a mental magnification of just a few people, often the most judgmental people you know." — Martha Beck

Beck suggests an exercise where you complete sentences like "Everybody thinks I'm ____"  and then think of a real life person who has actually, word for word, said this to you. There are more examples of this exercise in the original article. I urge you to go read this part at the very least, I can wait.

These people are your everybody committee. Beck says "I believe most of us have very small committees—often just one individual, almost never more than six. Yet we subconsciously project their opinions onto the entire global population."

They are often the most negative or influential people in your life. So when you are feeling frustrated and upset, and you lash out saying something like "I'm tired of everybody _______!" you're saying "everybody" but you're most likely feeling pressure from only one or two people.

Did you get that? Because it's important.

We tend to take the opinion of one person, and put it on everyone. And this is where we get into trouble.

This is where we feel unloved by everyone because one person won't call us back. This is where we get angry at a whole group of people because of one persons stupidity.

But it's also why we might put up with pain longer than we should.

Going back to the negative people in your life - Are these people in your everybody committee? Have you caught yourself blaming "everyone" for something that only they have said or done? Has your self-esteem suffered because of this person?

If you have answered yes to any of these questions, then it's time to look at that relationship and decide if it's worth it to keep them in your life.

Remember:
We only get one life. We shouldn't waste it by defending our choices to everyone, when we should just say goodbye to one person. Tweet this.

I'm still deciding how to handle the people that I've realized are in my everybody committee. Of course, it isn't going to be easy and definitely not painless. But in the long run it will be worth it.

What about you? Did you learn anything new by completing the exercise Beck suggested? Please share you thoughts in the comments below.

Image courtesy of Jamiesrabbits

 

31 comments:

  1. My husband and I just had a talk about this two hours ago on our morning walk. We have each had to make very tough decisions about who to let go. It hurts, but it is necessary. We keep people around because we think we "should." It doesn't mean you are mean or cruel. You can let go without being purposely hurtful.

    Thank you so much, Kim. Sharing Martha Beck's concept of an everybody committee is causing me to go back into some of my own thoughts as of late and wonder, Hmmm, was I letting one (or two or five) people determine how I think, feel, and act? Powerful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is powerful isn't it? I read the article while I was bored out of my mind sitting in a doctors office waiting room. After just a few paragraphs, I swear I went from slouched over and indifferent, to sitting up, alert and thinking "Holy cow! Where has this been all my life?!" It's life changing if you can really look into to and take action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, brilliant site and post! You say things that are hard to say and even harder for people to hear because we are taught the very opposite from the get go. Thank you for sharing your story and giving people permission and encouragement to do it their own way without the usual BS from the sidelines. My wife and I have come up with all kinds of terms lately for how to treat that one (or even more) person that is making all the trouble. We bump them out, ace them, schlooper them, lower the boom on them, etc. And, yes, the terms are amusing, but it is really simply survival and common effing sense. We are doing what is best for us as individuals and what is best for our marriage. Can't wait to see what you write next. If you have a moment, check us out at www.hoombah.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Interesting Kim. I am pretty sure we have all been caught using the everybody committee when we are having a pity party. I know I have done it. Gladly though that does not happen much to me these days as I have learned how to put on my "BS Blocker's" pretty often that people just kind of learned to stop throwing it my way. =-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim,

    I found your article very interesting to read. And it presents some important questions we must ask about people who have the potential to drag us down. But I couldn't help thinking that there are additional alternatives to deciding "if it's worth it to keep them in your life."

    In fact, there are many ways to change the balance of power in relationships. In situations like you describe, what is happening is that one person is giving power to negative others, allowing them to reduce their self-worth.

    This topic could be the foundation of many articles. But one way I like to deal with people who seem negative all the time is to ask myself "What can I learn from them?" In other words, what positive traits or strengths do they have? Or what can they teach me?

    What happends when you shift your own focus from their negativity, you also shift the power from them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CJ, thanks so much for your wonderful comment. It's always been very hard for me to cut out people - partly because I was always the outcast (so I know how it feels), and partly because I was clinging to the good of the past.

    That said, I've made some changes over time, some that we're planned and some that kind of happened organically. I did notice that the ones that just sort of happened were much less stressful than the ones that had to be, forced, I guess you could say.

    Oh and I stopped by your site the other day, but didn't have time to comment. I loved what I saw! Hopefully, today, I'll have time to get some commenting done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "BS Blockers" lol I love that! I'll have to remember that phrase!

    Ah but you have a good point... when people start to notice that you've stopped listening, they stop talking "at" you so much. So we have to be careful who we're listening to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marilyn, you make a wonderful point, regarding what you can learn from them. It's interesting that many significant things that I've learned about myself, were a direct result from "witnessing" the same problems in people that I knew. So, great point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you and Martha Beck for bringing the everybody committee into my awareness.
    Sometimes we can't simply move on because they are a part of our family. I am also sure that I have unintentionally/unknowingly said or done things that have been hurtful to others and have been part of their everybody committee.
    But being aware of the everybody committee goes a long way toward starting to see and acknowledge when it happens, then having the ability to make choices, instead of blinding falling into the trap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Martha Beck quote! I have never heard it put that way before, great info

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to agree with Marilyn on this one. There seems to be a beating drum on "dump toxic people from your life" lately. If taken too far, who will you have left in your life? No relationship is rosey 100% of the time.

    So a shift in focus is much more powerful. Remembering you have a choice in how you react and feel about what others say and do keeps you in the driver's seat instead of the passenger seat.

    I will say in a relationship that is long habituated, it may be very difficult to take that control back. It's worth the effort, I think. But sometimes it is better to let the relationship go, or perhaps minimize contact with that person until you're successful in other places to give you more confidence.

    It's all about learning how to set healthy boundaries. This is where I end and you begin.

    Now, in situations when true mental or physical abuse is taking place, YES! get away from that person. But it's still important to remember the reason they abuse is not about you or who you are. It's about their fear and insecurities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great food for thought. Throughout the years I have had to let go of toxic friendships or ones that did not support me or my dreams. But more often I have defined friendships. What I mean by this is when a friend is not supportive of my dreams I choose not to share with them that part of my life. I have a very close friend who was critical and unsupportive of my art career but one evening she finally admitted that she was jealous. The whole picture became very clear. Often family, friends are not supportive when they are scared. Scared you might out grow them, scared that their role will be altered...or sometimes you are just traveling in different directions. Good food for thought - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your take on this Lori.

    For me it depends on what specific negativity the person is bringing into my life. I mean, are they actively doing things to hurt or belittle me? Make me doubt myself? Then these people need to go.
    But on the other hand, if they are just being themselves, with zero intention to affect my emotions, then I would need to look more toward myself, to see what I'm missing that makes me feel that way.
    I also consider how they enrich my life? Does the good balance out the bad?

    And I agree that sometimes minimizing contact with the person can help, or even solve the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right. We can't always just "get rid of" the people, like in the case with family. But at the very least, we can recognize what they are doing to us, how they are affecting our lives or our thinking, and we can alter our response to it. Like you said, it gives us the ability to make choices.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make a point that I think is very important,and which I wanted to include in this post, but seems to really need a post of its own - why the negative people are negative.

    I've been guilty of it - acting hostile toward a friend before realizing that I was actually jealous of something they had/did/etc. I was a very negative child/teen because of things like this - things I felt I was missing, things others had, things I had no hope of getting.

    I realized a while back that those who are the worst, are so for a reason. They aren't just a bad seed. Something happened to make them that way. And while we can't "save" everyone for their behavior (afterall they do make their own choices), I think that the worst of the bunch need love the most - because they likely haven't received much of it in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting information, Kim. (I love Martha Beck's stuff.)

    It's really easy to generalize one person's reaction to "everyone" and so we need to be conscious of this habit to not let it get us down.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoy Martha Beck's work - she has a wry, witty writing style and is very sharp with her insights as well. I first learned of her concept of the "everybody" syndrome in her book Finding Your North Star.

    I agree, Kim, it really comes as a shock to realize that all along when you have been afraid of "everybody" criticizing you or being hurtful to you, that "everybody" is really just a very small group of very specific people. It really was an awakening for me! Even so, I find it hard to disengage from the "everybody" group, even mentally.

    Getting the truly toxic people out of your radar does wonders for the soul. However, for the rest of the "everybodies" I do think I lean a little more with Marilyn and Lori's thoughts that setting boundaries and learning to disengage from their emotional reactions can be very effective and maybe more realistic.

    Great article, Kim, it has really made me think!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah. Not anymore, but there use to be people that brought my life down. Dang was it tough to cut them loose.

    Relevant statistic from a large, multi-year study:

    Each additional happy friend that you have increases the chance of you being happy by 9%. Each additional unhappy friend increases the chance of you being unhappy by 7%.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent info here ! I love Martha Beck, and this is definitely a little exercise I will incorporate and suggest to others. It's so easy to get caught up in that 'everybody thinks..." thinking! I've thought a lot in recent months about the people I surround myself with, or even spent my time and emotional energy on. The sooner we realize how to gracefully detach from those toxic situations, the more quickly we can grow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used to let others get in my head like that.

    But over time I realized that I was just on the receiving end of their own personal garbage that they were venting out into the world.

    Now that I've disassociated with some of those folks and tuned the rest of them out, I don't have that problem so much. :)

    It's also a happy day when you have the epiphany that you no longer care what 'everybody' thinks! It's nice when people approve of me or support me, but I don't 'need' it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Bobbi! I'm going to find more of her stuff by Martha Beck now - very interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Patti! And thanks for mentioning that book. I'll be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoa, interesting results! And if you change even just 2 or 3 people in your life, that's some significant numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sooner the better is right!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was like that for a long time - letting everyone and everything get to me. It wasn't until I realized that they are each going through something that makes them how they are, that I began to give their actions less weight. It was a big realization for me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Kim :).

    I found your site through the A-List blogger membership :).

    What an insightful post. In my past I have definitely fallen into the trap of saying "you’re saying “everybody” but you’re most likely feeling pressure from only one or two people." and in fact I was only talking about 1 or 2 people.

    Here is what I realized after reading this post - I am very vulnerable to claiming "everyone is saying it!" when in fact I have only heard it from 2 people. In particular I am vulnerable to buying into that if both of these people had a negative point of view.

    This is a pretty powerful insight (for me) and I thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're welcome Izzy! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahh I totally agree with this!

    I had one person in my life who was the sole member of my 'everybody committee' and the one who's ideas of me I was projecting onto everyone else.
    It makes so much sense now after reading this and I realise that I was transforming myself into her view of me to others.
    Luckily that person has been pushed out of my life in the last month so I can start to reinvent the way I portray myself to other in my own image. But its weird to think that someone else's opinion of you can have such a large effect.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's such a freeing realization, isn't it? That moment when we realize that this view of ourselves isn't this massive collaborative thing by everyone in the world, but rather a small, and really, insignificant number of people.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the concept from Martha Beck. Oh so very true and that committee, often just one person as mentioned, is hard to ignore but freeing when we release their grip on us.

    ReplyDelete