Monday, October 1, 2012

De-stress a Stressful Situation (Beginner’s Guide to Mindfulness Pt 3)

The Beginners Guide to MindfulnessThis is part three of the Beginner’s Guide to Mindfulness. This is  a four-part series in which I discuss the benefits of practicing mindfulness and I provide you simple techniques for incorporating the practice into your daily life. If you missed it, you catch up by reading  Part 1 and Part 2.

When an unexpected situation comes up, it's easy to get caught up in your emotions. Before you know it, the situation has spiraled out of control— you're angry or hurt and everyone else involved is wishing they were anywhere else but there. Like stuck in a bear trap. Or visiting their in-laws.

But it really can be easier than that. It is possible to take stress in stride and not let it get the best of you.  Here's how to tackle three common sources of stress that most, if not all of us, have faced at some time or another.

1. When you don't like what you see


Do you like looking in the mirror? Or like many others does the thought of looking lovingly at your reflection spark a level of loathing usually reserved for your mortal enemies?

Maybe you're somewhere in the middle of these extremes, but the truth is that many people take no pleasure from looking in the mirror or at photos taken of them. And when they do happen to look in the mirror, all they seem to focus on is what is too ugly, or too fat, or too whatever.

I've been there. I remember when looking in the mirror meant tears - of shame, defeat, and despair. It meant imagining the horrible things that other people were surely saying about me. Thankfully, I was able to accept, not only my body, but that worrying about what others think is a waste of time.

But how do you get past it? 

Common advice for improving self-image is to compliment yourself every time you see your reflection. But for some, this can actually be counter-effective. If the aversion to your physical appearance is so strongly ingrained in your beliefs, then complimenting yourself often can feel like such a bald-faced lie that the logical side of you will completely reject the idea. This of course, leads to you giving up altogether.

Practicing mindfulness in this situation can provide the middle ground that is needed to overcome that feeling of lying to yourself, because instead of telling yourself how great you are, or how horrible you are, you are simply saying, "Yes, I see you. I will not judge what I see."






Say to your reflection: "Yes, I see you. I will not judge what I see." Click to tweet this quote.

And once you're comfortable with accepting what you see, you can progress toward more positive thoughts.

2. When you're in a hurry


You have 15 minutes left on your lunch hour. All you want to do is pay for the 3 tiny little items you need for dinner tonight. And the grocery store has one checkout open (out of twenty) and the line is snaking down aisle 3 into the deli department.

Oh. Hell. No.

I’ll admit it, I'm not the most patient person in the world. Or anywhere close. But I have learned a few ways to deal with impatience when it comes up and not to let it take control of me.

Anticipate delays. This is oh so important. Many times it isn't the delay that bothers us so much, but the fact that it took us by surprise. We like to be in control and when something happens that we can't control, it throws us for a loop. When I'm expecting to wait, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as when it's sprung on me.

  • Find out when the busy times are at your grocery store (just ask an employee) and avoid those times as much as possible. If you can't, be prepared to wait in line.

  • If rush hour traffic makes your blood pressure surge, try finding a different route. Radio stations often share road blockages (including from car accidents) and The Weather Channel will give you a rush hour traffic report for your zip code.

  • If you always find yourself a few minutes late to work because your kids just don't understand the urgency, try waking up just 5 minutes earlier. Make sure everyone's clothes and backpacks are ready the night before. You can even prepare for breakfast by putting out the bowls, spoons, and cereal (or any non-perishables) the night before as well.


Of course, you can't always prepare for a delay. When the world seems hellbent to keep you from your destination, it helps to have a plan of action, which I'll get to in a moment. First, I want to discuss the third situation— anger. Because impatience has a way of turning quickly to anger, the mindful solutions for both of them are very similar.

 

3. When you're angry


I used to say that my temper was like a sports car: It could go 0 - 60 in 3.5. It was easy to flare up and difficult to tame. But with some time and patience with myself, I am now able to keep calm under many circumstances that used to rev me up. Of course, I do still get angry. I mention this because it's important for you to realize that we can't control every emotion, nor would we want to (we are humans with feelings after all), but we can learn to moderate the emotions that aren't doing anything to help us or those around us.

Now, on to the good stuff!

Mindful Thought


 

  • Begin with mindful breathing. Focus only on the breath. If you're finding it difficult to concentrate, try saying "In" on the inhale and "Out" on the exhale. Do this until you're calm or the delay has passed. Do not proceed to the next step until you are calm.

  • Consider other points of view. The cashier is probably even more stressed than you— it isn't her fault that she's the only one at a register. Yelling at her, or making comments to others in line isn't going to make her work faster. Or maybe the problem is that a car accident is blocking traffic. Instead of thinking only of your plight, have compassion and consider what the person in the accident is going through.

  • Ask yourself, "Is this getting me anywhere?" Regardless of how legitimate your impatience or anger is, you have to question what it's doing for you. Is it getting you to your destination faster? If the answer is no, and I'd wager that it is, then relax. Go back to your breathing if necessary.

  • Get it out. Many of us hold in anger for a long time. It's unhealthy and despite what we tell ourselves, the only person it hurts is us. Try talking calmly to the person that has upset you. This is the best way to clear out the negative emotions. If you aren't ready for that step, or if the source of your anger isn't a person, there are other steps you can take, like writing out your frustrations. Writing a "letter" to the source of your anger (you don't actually send it) or keeping a journal gives you a way to expell those negative emotions in a healthy way. Write down all the emotions you're feeling and why you feel them. Pay attention to how your body reacts as well. Do you notice a change in your pulse or muscle tension? Note anything that crosses your mind.


"The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. The first to forget is the happiest." —Unknown

What methods to you use to keep calm in stressful situations? Please share in the comments below.

If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it to your favorite social network by using the buttons below.

22 comments:

  1. "Anticipate delays. This is oh so important. Many times it isn’t the delay that bothers us so much, but the fact that it took us by surprise."

    Nailed it! I feel the same way and couldn't have expressed it any better Kim.

    Overall, I appreciate your contribution with this article. But I'll split hairs for a moment and say it's important that we have the ability to judge ourselves. I don't have science, stats, or research to back up that opinion, but I do have Randy Pausch of The Last Lecture fame to help me out. He said:

    "It is an accepted cliché in education that the number one goal of teachers should be to help students learn how to learn. I always saw the value in that, sure. But in my mind, a better number one goal was this: I wanted to help students learn how to judge themselves. Did they recognize their true abilities? Did they have a sense of their own flaws? Were they realistic about how others viewed them? In the end, educators best serve students by helping them be more self-reflective. The only way any of us can improve...is if we develop a real ability to assess ourselves. If we can't accurately do that, how can we tell if we're getting better or worse?"

    So with this context, do you agree there is a time and place for judging ourselves and allowing other people to place judgments on us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Joel!

    I do agree that a certain amount of "judgement" is necessary in order to, like you quoted, notice our progress. And even, as I mentioned, when we notice our moods changing, the stress levels decreasing or increasing is, in actuality, a form of judgement.

    That said, many of us can get bogged down in the judgement process and either become stagnant or end up reversing any progress we've made. For instance, someone trying to lose weight often focuses on how "horrible" they think they look and how slowly the weight comes off. Or how they messed up and ate something they shouldn't. They'll either freeze, or give up completely.

    The idea is that when you're feeling overwhelmed, to not focus on what is and isn't happening, but to instead say to yourself "I'm ok. I can't focus on the past or future. But now. And right now, I'm a- okay."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like where you guys are going with this... I like to think, if I am going assess or judge a part of me, that I am now ready to take action to "fix/change" it. If I am not at the stage yet to make the effort then I let it slide by until I am.

    This way I am not endlessly worrying about something I know that I am not ready to change. But I need to keep aware and keep asses to ensure that I have not got to the point of action yet.

    I think how we grow and evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly! Sometimes we just aren't in a place that we can process even constructive criticism in a healthy manner. We have to figure out when we can and can't handle it.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a full post! I zero-ed in on the advice about impatience and feelings of control in your life, which is an 800-lb gorilla in my own efforts to be 'zen.' A patient gorilla though. I know that a lot of the rough parts of myself I want to 'work on' involve needing to feel in control, and I can only focus on reforming small pieces of that at a time to avoid feeling adrift... good points, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Margaret!

    Yes, it's definitely a full post! It was originally 4 situations - I cut out fear and worry to keep it from going all epic length on me! I have enough to say about worry to be a post all it's own, so that will be coming eventually.

    I discovered a few years ago, that control was my big thing. As a kid and teen, I felt that I had zero control over my life (not just the typical teen stuff) and once I figured out how to get a little control, I didn't want to let it go. Impatience then sort of grew exponentially then. But now that I know the cause, it sure helps to keep calm when I feel that feeling come on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh, the mirror. Definitely not something I enjoy the last 4+ years and something I've been struggling with recently. I've even considered hanging something over my bathroom mirror to give myself a much needed break from my thoughts.

    Instead, I joined a study a PhD from Boston is conducting, which relates very strongly to part of my struggle. And wouldn't you know, part of her "education" involved mindfulness. lol

    So between the notes I took during the seminar and doing exercises in a book I'm reading, "Happy For No Reason", I hope to crack this nut once and for all.

    Stay tuned. I'm hoping to get up the courage to blog about it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that mirror used to be my greatest foe!

    The study sounds interesting. I know when you blog about it, it'll be worth it! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh- I forgot I also wanted to comment on the 3rd one- Anger, and the solution of 'Getting it out.' I call it the anger dance, and I can only do it in my living room, when I'm alone, and there's a big space cleared. Anybody else?? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome "sound bites" from this post. I set a few to tweet already!

    I have been fortunate enough to have a temper more like 0 - 60 in 3.5 days. But the danger is... I go from 60-120 in about 40 seconds! lol

    It really takes a whole heck of a lot to really get to me. I learned that most things are not worth the energy it takes to get upset about it. And I am totally to lazy to waste "extra" energy!

    Now I am off to catch part 1 and 2 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic post, Kim,
    --tons of great info and helpful ideas.
    Love the Anger section and your first 3 suggestions under Mindful Thought. It has taken me at least 30 years to get a handle on those simple suggestions. And I'm still a rank amateur at using your 4th suggestion there. (Slow learner? Stubborn?) :-)
    I'll stop back when I have more time, to better absorb the great ideas you've presented here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 60 - 120, yeah that could be dangerous!

    How you feel about getting angry, that's how I feel about worrying. I always tell people, I'm too lazy to worry anymore lol, but the truth is I've just decided it isn't worth it.

    Thanks for commenting... and the tweets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by Jim!

    Yeah, letting out our anger is a hard step! We don't want to offend people and we don't want to admit that things affect us... but it's super helpful.

    I've found stream of consciousness journaling to be very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gotta agree with Joel. I don't mind being late - ever! I'm really patient. But I hate being thrown for a loop, having an unexpected delay that really isn't unexpected (e.g. someone else's fault). So I just need to always expect those other people to be late... that's a great idea!

    "Say to your reflection: “Yes, I see you. I will not judge what I see.”"

    Or you could say - you're normal, and that's okay! (self-compassion)

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha yeah, learn to expect everyone to be late! That's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will remember 'yes I can see you, but I will not judge what I see'.
    You are right, sticking positive affirmations all over the mirror does not work. I talked to myself in the mirror for years saying 'I love and approve of myself'. Underneath was that other voice telling me 'who are you trying to kid'?
    Letting go of judgment has been far more effective, even noticing that I am doing so and saying 'there you go judging again'.
    Mindfulness is being honest, I prefer that to trying to trick myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kim, this is really good stuff!

    The way I calm myself down in a long line or in traffic is just to remind myself that there is nothing I can do about it. Why expend my energy on something that I cannot impact? Instead, I breathe and take time to be in that particular moment, noticing what is around me. The waiting often turns out to be just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that they can work... but only if you're in a mindset to accept them. We can't always tell when someone else is lying to us, but we can ALWAYS tell when we are lying to ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're so right. Why get ruffled up over something you can't control? Just a waste of energy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm with Bobbi - it makes no sense to get all all twisted into a bundle over traffic or other things I have no control over. It's difficult sometimes, and takes practice. Also a set of tools for handling the impatience and other emotions that arise. Breathing. Breathing. Breathing! Such an all-important reminder!

    And what a shift to begin to think loving thoughts when you visit your image in the mirror. The more you can look yourself right in the eyes and say "I love you. I forgive you. You are beautiful just the way you are." - the more it becomes true.

    Great stuff, will have to check out the 1st two parts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That sounds fun! I don't think I've ever done that to get rid of anger (though I'm sure I will now!), but I have done it to exercise when I just don't want to get dressed and head to the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're absolutely right. That shift is amazing... because you don't notice it right away. At least for me it wasn't. There wasn't a moment where I decided to make the switch. It just sort of happened. And that moment when you notice it... is amazing, because you realize you truly believe it.

    ReplyDelete