Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Easy Mindfulness Techniques (Beginner's Guide to Mindfulness Pt 2)

The Beginners Guide to MindfulnessThis is part two of the Beginner’s Guide to Mindfulness. This is  a four-part series in which I discuss the benefits of practicing mindfulness and I provide you simple techniques for incorporating the practice into your daily life. You can read part one here.

Last week week I talked about mindfulness and it's benefits. This week I'll go into mindfulness a bit more and share some simple techniques that will help you easily incorporate the practice into your daily life.

Step 1: Pick a time


If you completed last week's homework, then you're already done with step one. If you skipped the homework, or you missed it, your task was to pick a specific time that you will set aside to practice. If you haven't done this yet, go ahead and do it now, I'll wait.

Did you do it?

Your time should be time specific and should be the same each day. Remember, even just 5 or 10 minutes a day is enough to start out with. You want to start out simple because you don't want to become overwhelmed.

 

Step 2: Practice


There are many, many ways to practice mindfulness. This list is meant to serve as a sampling of basic techniques, and is by no means an all inclusive list. Remember: start small and work your way up.

60 Seconds of Breathing


This can be considered the "bare bones" of mindfulness as practically all forms of mindfulness are extensions of the breathing practice.

Find a place you can be still, with zero distractions. Turn off the the TV. Close the laptop. Put your phone on silent (It's ok, it's only 60 seconds!). It doesn't matter if you're sitting or lying in bed. Go ahead and get comfy.

Now focus on your breathing. Don't try to change it, just notice it. Is it fast or shallow? Is it deep or slow? Are your breaths even, or do they change from breath to breath? Is is coming from your chest or your belly? Does the air feel cool or warm? Are you breathing differently at the end than you were at the beginning?

If you'd like, you can set a timer to alert you when the minute is up. Keep in mind that this is deceptively simple - It's easy to do, yet difficult to master. Your mind is likely to stray after even 5 or 10 seconds. When that happens, just notice the thought, but don't focus on it, and direct your thoughts back to your breathing. Continue to redirect your thoughts back to the breath each time, remembering not to judge. It is normal for your mind to stray several, or many times during this exercise, even though it only lasts 60 seconds. With continued practice, you're mind will have an easier time focusing and will stray less often.

Eating


Considering that two-thirds of the American population is overweight, mindful eating can become a super-tool to add to your mindfulness toolbox.

How many times have you ate well past being full? How many times have you ate when you weren't even hungry? How many times have you eaten so quickly that you barely remember what the food even tasted like?

Mindful eating helps you to slow down, pay attention, and savor each moment and each bite.

Note: If you cook the food yourself, you can begin these steps while you're preparing and cooking the food).

Before you take your first bite, look at your food. What does it smell like? What colors and textures do you see?

Notice how your body reacts. Do you feel extra saliva in your mouth? Are you feeling excited or anticipation to taste the food?

Take a bite. How does it feel in your mouth? Is it chewy or soft? Salty or sweet?

Ask and notice. Repeat for each bite. If your mind wanders, bring it back to the food.

How hungry are you? Stop just before you are full.

I must admit that I used to think that this was overkill. I thought, "Seriously? Every bite?" So, I only half-way did it. I can't tell you how many times I went back for seconds because I inhaled my food so quickly, I hardly even tasted it. And because I ate it so fast, I wasn't satisfied - which, of course, left me wanting more.

When I slow down and savor each bite, I find that not only do I eat less, I feel much more satisfied with the meal overall.

Awareness


This is a fun one!

In this technique, we'll be picking a place to sit, and simply become aware of our surroundings. While the previous two techniques are very narrow-focused, this technique gives your mental focus a little more freedom and wiggle-room.

For beginner's, pick a location that is slower, with a little less hustle and bustle. A quiet park, or a restaurant during non-busy hours would be great. If you live in the city, or a suburb you could also sit on your porch. The goal is to pick somewhere that has activity, but is separate from you. Pick a place where you can easily observe what is going on, but not have to be a part of what is going on.

If you already practice mindfulness, feel free to pick a place that has more activity, like a Starbucks, or just use the places listed above, but move closer to the action.

Begin with mindful breathing. Notice your breath. When you have random thoughts, bring them back to the breath.

Now close your eyes. What do you hear? Are the sounds nearby or faraway? What do you feel? How hot or cold is it? Is there a breeze? What do you smell?

Use your senses of touch, hearing, and smell to paint a picture in your head. Don't judge what your senses tell you, though. Just notice.

Open your eyes. Now use your sight to notice the rest. What do you see? Are there kids playing? People rushing by?

Do this for as long as you like, but aim for at least 5 minutes.

Step 3: Repeat


To get the most out of mindfulness practice, you actually have to practice it! Pick a schedule and stick to it. It'll be second nature before you know it!

Next week, part three of the guide will show you how to use mindfulness to help with negative emotions and situations, like impatience and worry. Look for the post next Tuesday!

What techniques are you most excited to try? In what area of your life do you think mindfulness will be most helpful?

If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it to your favorite social network by clicking the buttons below.

3 comments:

  1. Practicing in very crowded and noisy surroundings is still a bit of a challenge for me. It was several months before I could practice in semi-active areas.

    I've since learned how to integrate noise into my experience and that's made it easier, but there are certain noises that set me on edge and have all my life.

    Babies crying and noisy kids. I handle fingernails down a chalkboard better than I handle those sounds.

    I live next to a city in a noisy suburban area. I can hear everything my neighbors do. Learning to treat sound as just part of the experience did wonders to reduce my stress and make me more comfortable in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In busy surroundings I use mindfulness to practice noticing my surroundings, though not really in a meditative way, so much of the time I don't mind noise as long as it's not in close proximity to me.

    And girl, I know what you mean about crying babies and noisy kids! When I'm working/writing I have to hole up in my room or make the stepkids stay in their room, because I can't think when they're running around the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Beginner’s Guide to Mindfulness Pt 3: De-stress a Stressful Situation This is part three of the Beginner’s Guide to Mindfulness. This is  a four-part series in which I discuss the benefits of practicing mindfulness and I provide you simple techniques for incorporating the practice into your daily life. If you missed it, you catch up by reading  Part 1 and Part 2. [...]

    ReplyDelete