Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What is Mindfulness and Why Is It Important? (Beginner's Guide to Mindfulness Pt 1)

The Beginners Guide to MindfulnessAs I'm sure you noticed in the title, today's post is part one in the Beginner's Guide to Mindfulness. This will be a four-part series in which I discuss the benefits of practicing mindfulness and I provide you simple techniques for incorporating the practice into your daily life.


What is Mindfulness?


To put it simply, mindfulness is being aware. But in reality it's so much more than that.

Being mindful means:


Paying attention with intent - This means that you are aware for awareness' sake.  You choose to pay attention, to be alive, to be nowhere but the current moment. For each mindful moment, there is no past and no future - only now.

Being non-judgemental - This is acceptance. It simply means that you are aware of your thoughts and surroundings, but you decline to interpret what your senses are telling you.

Essentially, it is you saying,  "Yeah, I know you're there. So what?"

Asking questions - Questions are one of the most important aspects of mindfulness. This is where awareness really comes alive. It means the difference between knowing that you're eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and being aware of the crunch of it between your teeth, tasting the sweetness of it on your tongue, and so much more. To fully experience mindfulness, you ask yourself all of the who/what/where/etc questions for each of your senses. What does it smell like? Who is around me? What sounds do I hear?

Next week, I'll talk a lot more about each of these.


What's so Important about Mindfulness Anyway?


I feel that mindfulness is an essential part of any self-discovery journey, and lots of experts, like Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh, feel that it's absolutely necessary. There are even adaptations of mindfulness for many of the worlds major religions, so for most of us, religion isn't a reason to not practice. But, regardless, it's a pretty awesome self-discovery tool, that if used on a daily basis, can awaken you to parts of yourself you never knew existed.

The benefits of mindfulness:


Greater awareness - With mindfulness, awareness is key. It's the step (and the benefit) that unlocks all of the rest. As you get comfortable with the practice, you'll become more aware of your surroundings and your feelings, which will allow you to make better on-the-fly decisions and to more thoroughly enjoy life.

Better understanding - Not only will you gain a better understanding of yourself and your specific triggers, but you'll also be better able to understand others and their reactions too. We tend to be much more accepting of negative events and behaviors when we know why they're happening in the first place. And of course, with understanding, comes the ability to change.

Lower stress levels - When you're not worrying about anything, you aren't stressed. Worry manifests itself in so many ways: fear, anger, resentment. And these negative emotions are just our way of not accepting something in our lives. Essentially, mindfulness leads to acceptance, and acceptance silences worry. It's a win-win if you ask me.

More enjoyment - When you aren't consumed with stress or thinking about what happened yesterday (or what will happen tomorrow), you can actually begin to slow down and enjoy life. All we have is this moment, right now. The now is where we live and every second you spend in the past or future, is a second of life you have wasted. The present is the only time that truly exists for us.

Look up the word present in a dictionary — you won't find the words "speculation" or "memory" in the definition, I promise you.

Deeper sense of peace - There is a definite feeling of peace that comes with a daily practice of mindfulness. When we can filter through the stress and negativity, we can find ourselves able to enjoy life in a much deeper way, enabling us to relax into the feeling of simply being alive.

Homework


This week's homework is easy, but it's super important, so don't skip it!

Pick a time to be mindful, and be specific. 

Examples:

  • I'm going to be mindful for 5 minutes while I'm brushing my teeth each morning.

  • I'm going to be mindful for 10 minutes while I wash the dinner dishes each day.

  • I'm going to be mindful while I each lunch each day.

  • I'm going to be mindful while I'm in the shower/bath tub.


Right now, pick a time that isn't full of distractions. We want to start off easy, so pick a time that you won't have people or things vying for your attention.

Share with us in the comments below. What time did you pick? And have you ever practiced mindfulness before?

If you enjoyed this article, please consider sharing it to your favorite social network by clicking the buttons below.

7 comments:

  1. Yay, my homework is totally already done! I practice mindfulness for a set period of time every morning right after I wake up, and have been doing so for the past five months or so. I love it. I also try to eat my lunch as mindfully as I can, though I'm less consistent with that.

    I really love the idea of asking yourself questions as a way to stay present. People usually just say "Notice ___," but questioning is so much more powerful! I'm going to try that with my lunch tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being non-judgmental. This is my favorite part of mindfulness. As I lost being judgmental of myself, I discovered I judged others less, too. I never realized how much of my stress was caused by judging!

    I've been on the mindfulness bandwagon for a little over a year. How intently I practice varies, but I know it's not enough when some old behaviors and cycles of reactivity creep back in.

    Shower, brushing teeth, eating, while driving...yup, I use those. My on the fly trigger is when I sigh. I sigh after I hold my breath for a while - and if I've been holding my breath, I've been stressing over something...usually. So as soon as I sigh, I take a minute or two of mindfulness and just notice my breathing to let go of the stress that built up to the sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love asking questions. They tend to be a little more specific, than an abstract "Notice ___" like you mentioned, which really helps me. I've never been very good at maintaining the abstract!

    I think it gives me a little more focus on the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about judging. I agree that being less judgmental with myself has made accepting others much easier.

    I like your trigger! It's a good one. I may have to adopt it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] Beginner’s Guide to Mindfulness Pt 2: Easy Mindfulness Techniques This is part two of the Beginner’s Guide to Mindfulness. This is  a four-part series in which I discuss the benefits of practicing mindfulness and I provide you simple techniques for incorporating the practice into your daily life. You can read part one here. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] for incorporating the practice into your daily life. If you missed it, you catch up by reading  Part 1 and Part [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] incorporating the practice into your daily life. If you missed it, you can catch up by reading  Part 1 , Part 2 and Part [...]

    ReplyDelete